This Terre Armée solution satisfies our customers’ need for a speedy and durable alternative to building large cast-in-place standalone or multi-cell box culvert alternatives. TechBox™ is ideally suited to having clearance envelops of ≥ 5m x 3m.
Typical applications for TechBox™ include cut-and-cover box structures as single or multi-span for direct support and thruway for vehicles & railway (including heavy rail), pedestrian and animal crossings, and waterways.
The TechBox™ design approach
Our structural and geotechnical design approach considers soil-structure interaction, and all peripheral characteristics of the structure’s size, purpose and setting. Terre Armée engineers analyze subsurface and backfill planning, the sequence of installation and service performance requirements. By modeling the in-service structure through FEM analysis, our bridge specialists establish reliable elasto-plastic soil models in determining acceptable soil stiffness and elasticity, and then design the structural precast elements around these soil-structure models.
We combine the soil behavior model with optimized thin and flexible articulated structural components which result in a highly predictable and stable design for your structure. The result:
- Cost effectiveness: overall installed costs is at par or lower compared to conventional methods.
- Time savings: the standardized method to install modular units dramatically reduce construction time.
- Technical quality: factory controlled production of wall panels and over-bridging slabs ensures best quality.
- Sustainability: optimized material content using thin sections and backfill as a structural element reduces consumption of materials.
- Safety in mind: using highly engineered precast elements, it is easiest to organize safety at jobsites through standardized procedures.
TechBox™ construction procedure
- Installation and alignment of initial precast segmental, full-height side wall panels.
- Continuation of installing full-height precast side walls.
- Installation of segmental over-bridging (top slab units).
- Cast in-situ base slab (if required).
- Application of joint treatment.
- Stage 1 backfilling (prior to side stich application).
- In-situ casting of side stitch (connecting side walls to top slabs).
- Stage 2 backfilling (completion and finishing).